Thursday, May 27, 2004

Or should I say madison will be a little more jewish and a little bit shorter this weekend.

First time I have laughed aloud at a blog entry in months.

As long as I can remember I've had this fear of door knobs. Not the handles but you know when a door is open and that little catch thing points out and there's usually a screw above and below it. It looks like a face to me. If I turn around and an open door is "pointing" at me like that, I immediately get this sense of dread and sometimes scream. It usually takes me a few minutes to compose myself. Its really irrational, kinda like how I still run up the stairs at my parents house because I am afraid of the basement. It's these irrationalities that keep me from running at night as well. At best I'm afraid I'm going to be stabbed by some guy in the bushes. At worst I'm sure there is some life size mosquito out there straight out of the X-Files waiting to suck my spicey brains out. I also must wrap the cellephane top of my cigarettes in the foil from the box everytime I open a pack. My biggest fear is that my airbag will deploy while I am driving.
This one time I was in Amsterdam and was walking through a square there. Some guy maybe catches my eye and I look towards him for just a second, but I'm at least 15 feet away. After we passed him he ran after me and inquired "Why you don't look where you're going?" To which I responded, "What?" He repeated his inquiry. He kind of struck me as not too weird and maybe a little hippy so I thought he meant, why am I not admiring the world around me. I said, "Your right I should." He said, "Why did you bump into me? Why don't you look where you're going? You spilled my coke." "Oh I'm sorry," I replied. Then I look in his hands and find a white envelope with white powder on it and realize he is not talking about the tasty carbonated beverage. "Give me 100 guilder he says" "I don't have it," says I. (I didn't I had just gotten in and hadn't changed any money yet. "Give me 50 guilder then." "I don't have it" My sister gets a little scared and says, "Nick lets go." Now the guy has my name and keeps following saying, "Nick, give me 50 guilder Nick. Nick. Nick you want trouble Nick?" "No." "Then give me 50 guilder." It was a pretty public place so I wasn't terribly freaked out, as soon as we got to a busier street he turned and walked away.

He may or may not have been Turkish.